Wednesday, June 24, 2009

This-n-That

I am not at all a hot weather person. Summer has never been my favorite season and anymore it seems we go from winter to summer and back to winter without anything in between. This year I thought we had a fabulous spring and I'm a little in denial that it is June (almost July!) and summer is upon us. Lately, though, I can't decide if I would rather it be hot or rain because those seem to be the only options. The rain is cooler, but we have a leaky basement! Our seller's disclosure that we were given before buying the house said they had a problem in the basement bedroom, but it had been fixed. We moved in on a Friday and I think it rained the following Tuesday and we had instantly wet carpet in the exact area that supposedly had been fixed. If I had the former owners' phone number I would seriously consider calling them and saying, "Hey...NOT COOL!!" I hope it isn't raining as much back home and delaying harvest!

Today, I had my first follow-up visit since Shelby was born. Dr. Train said everything looked really good. My incision is completely healed over and I have virtually no pain. Shelby gets her first follow-up visit with her doctor tomorrow. We are excited to see how much weight she has gained back. She went from 7 lbs. 5 oz. to 6 lbs. 8 oz. while in the hospital, but since we've been home she has been eating almost hourly when she is awake and then sleeps in longer stretches, so I think she has to have gained her weight back pretty well. One concern we will be addressing with the doctor is her Newborn Screen blood test that was done at the hospital. We got a letter that said it came back abnormal and that she needed to be tested more for congenital hypothyroidism. The first step is to have the doctor's office redo the newborn screen to rule out a false positive. We are hoping that's all it is. If it comes back the same, I think she would be sent on to an endocrinologist for further testing. I took the liberty of looking up some information regarding hypothyroidism on the internet and that was the wrong thing to do. Although it is perfectly treatable, I just made myself really worried for a couple days. At this point, I've talked myself into not worrying until we get the second results of the newborn screen back because there is nothing we can do until then and it's all going to turn out fine anyway.

This is a semi-before picture of our swimming pool in the back. I say "semi-before" because at this point Kenny had already gotten the mostly submerged cover out, cleaned out the leaves, debris, and dead squirrel floating on top, and started draining it.

It is now empty, but dirty and is probably going to stay that way this summer. We are having some pool people come and look at it on Tuesday to give us their opinion on what needs to be done and show us how to take care of it with the chemicals and all that. Kenny thinks it needs a new liner because it looks stretched in some areas and the bottom needs to be levelled out. Liners are expensive and that is our main roadblock to getting it up and going this summer, especially after moving, a new baby, and me not working. I was looking forward to maybe swimming off some of the baby weight this summer in the privacy of my own backyard, but I may have to (gasp!) actually start running again...or something similar...later this summer. Definitely later this summer. :)

When Kenny first told me about the floating dead squirrel, he was completely grossed out by it so of course I had to go look at it. He was talking about how to get it out in the least gross way possible and I told him it honestly looked like he could poke it with a long stick and it may just freak out, come back to life, and take itself out of the pool. He was skeptical about that plan and told me I could scoop it out with the net basically just for being a smart-aleck. I said that was fine. That net has a long handle. I didn't mind scooping it out as long as he was at the other end holding the bag for me to dump it into. Again, he was not fond of my plan and ended up scooping it out himself.

I suppose that is all for now. I'll be sure and update you on the results of Shelby's blood work when we hear back.

2 comments:

  1. I'll be praying for you with Shelby. Its always VERY VERY stressful to have something "wrong" with our little ones and I know that even the treatable things can worry us, so hang in there and trust your instincts.

    The dead squirrel story is funny, but GROSS! I hate squirrels, and I think I would have barfed or really freaked out with a dead one- YUCK!!!

    Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lindy, we have been praying for Shelby too. Let us know when you have more news. As soon as harvest is over and we get some time, we want to come see you all. Give Autumn and Shelby a hug for us.

    Dad

    ReplyDelete